Sunday, December 27, 2009

In Australia, why is the standard of beauty a tan and not pale?

I am Ausralian, 21 years old, and female. I have light skin and I avoid the sun because I don't want to get sun cancer - which is HUGE here. I cover up when I'm in the sun and sunscreen hats scarves etc. As a result, I am quite pale. I also have dark features such as naturally dark brown/black hair, dark brown eyes, and Caucasian features. All I ever here is that tan girls with blonde hair are the standard of beauty. Does anyone else agree that pale girls are disregarded in Australia? Any pale girls out there agree? What do you think? Thanks. (People from other countries answer too if you have a similar situation in your country). In Australia, why is the standard of beauty a tan and not pale?
I agree. It's a ridiculous notion that charred skin is considered ';beauty.';





You may have noticed a recent cancer council campaign with ';There's nothing healthy about a tan'; on the sides of buses. I think that's one of the most effective and clear campaigns in recent years, and I still find it phenomenal that many ppl STILL don't ';get it';.





On an aesthetic level, I prefer the look of pale skin. I'm usually attracted to women with a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern complexion, but if the person is Anglo and more on the paler side, I find them far more attractive than tanned women. Maybe because I find it difficult to understand why someone would willingly char-grill their largest physiological organ, for supposed beauty.





The tides will change though. When more and more people get diagnosed with melanoma, or even BCCs, they'll hopefully teach their kids that unprotected exposure to the sun is ridiculous and nonsensical. In Australia, why is the standard of beauty a tan and not pale?
Pale white skin looks unhealthy and sickly. Someone with a tan or olive complexion simply looks healthier. That's the attraction.
I think you hear that because you are pale skinned and would hear it the other way if you were tan !





I'm from Canada and we are ';bi-lingual'; which means we are tan in the summer and pale in the winter ! LOL*





On a serious note though...yes...skin cancer is a problem world wide what with the ozone layer being less and less each year !





So...stick to your guns kiddo and be healthy and later on in years (like about 5 to 10 years ) you won't have that droopy leathery look and be at that age where the men (everywhere) say...Fair Dinkum...look at her skin...she's a beaut !





Love you peeps from Aussie....your'e a lot like us...';Yeah to the Commonwealth'; ! *S*








**************************************鈥?br>

Well said Josh ...just read your reply ! Thumbs up !

No comments:

Post a Comment